CALL FOR 2023 AWARD ENTRIES
Aim and nature of the Award
1. In keeping with its ongoing commitment towards cultivating an internationalized leadership and to fostering transatlantic relations, Aspen Institute Italia  hereby invites entries for the seventh “Award for scientific research and collaboration between Italy and the United States”, to be adjudicated in 2023.
2. The Award, which it is envisaged will be held annually, will honor a research contribution in the field of natural, theoretical, or applied sciences, produced jointly by scientists and/or research organizations hailing exclusively or prevalently from Italy and the United States. Special consideration may be given to research contributions that have had widespread and recognized application in product or process innovation or in the supply of innovative goods or services.
3. The Award builds on the commitment of Aspen Institute Italia towards organizing initiatives and events exploring issues relating to scientific culture and technological innovation, with a special focus on their relevance to Italy.
1. The attached Award Rules form an integral part of this Call for Award Entries, and set out the aims, nature, and procedures for the conduct of the Award.
2. The submission of an entry entails full acceptance, by those making the relevant submission, of the attached Award Rules and of the terms of the Call for Award Entries. Entries that do not meet all the conditions of the Award Rules and this Call shall not be taken into consideration.
Entry requirements and submission procedures
1. The requirements for Award entries are set out in Article 3 of the Award Rules.
2. Research contributions entered for the Award must have been produced recently and published, even if in the form of an abstract, by one or more scientific journals after January 1, 2017.
3. Entries must be submitted by all the research co-authors in English only and solely via a single covering email containing (as attachments):
a) an entry form using the form attached to this Call;
b) a copy, in English or Italian, of the research contribution being entered for the Award, as published by a scientific journal of choice which has subjected the research to a peer review process;
c) up to three reference letters, for the sole purpose of certifying the scientific value of the research and its potential for application (optional);
d) any information concerning the impact of the research in terms of widespread and recognized application in product or process innovation, or in the supply of innovative goods or services. By way of illustration, the kind of material that can be attached for this purpose includes: newspaper articles, links to websites or videos, and reference letters from among those mentioned in point c) above (optional).
4. Entry forms and all attached documents must be sent by email in “.pdf” format. The overall size of the entry form and attachments to the covering email must be less than 10MB. If the size exceeds this limit, then the covering email should request instructions from Aspen Institute Italia regarding how to send the documents, indicating the type of documents involved and their size.
5. A candidate application to one or two preceding editions of the Award and complying with the above rules of the present Article will be considered for the 2023 edition without need to be resubmitted.
6. Entries must be submitted via email by the deadline of 18:00 CET (Central European Time) on January 31, 2023, to:
Aspen Institute Italia Award – 2023
7. The Award committee will decide the winner of the Award by March 15, 2023.
8. The announcement of the winning entry will be published on a dedicated section of the Aspen Institute Italia website (www.aspeninstitute.it) by March 30, 2023.
The members of the Award committee for the 2023 Award shall be:
- Professor Giulio Tremonti, Chairman of the Award committee; Chairman, Aspen Institute Italia, Rome
- Professor Cristina M. Alberini, Center for Neural Science, New York University, New York
- Professor Alessandra Buonanno, Director, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics – Albert Einstein Institute, Potsdam
- Professor Domenico Giardini, Chair of Seismology and Geodynamics, ETH, Zurich
- Professor Luciano Maiani, Professor Emeritus of Theoretical Physics, Sapienza University of Rome
- Professor Giovanni Rezza, Director General for Disease Prevention, Ministry of Health, Rome
- Mr. Lucio Stanca, Vice Chairman, Aspen Institute Italia, Rome
The Award committee’s decisions are final and are not open to review.
Prize amount and presentation of the Award
1. The Award consists of a monetary prize of EUR 40,000 gross for the research contribution judged to be the winning entry. Should any co-author decline the prize, his or her portion of the sum will not be distributed among the other winners.
2. The Award ceremony for the winning entry is held in the year following that in which the relevant Call for Award Entries was issued, at an event to be chosen by Aspen Institute Italia and according to procedures determined by the Institute, whose decision thereon shall be final.
Address for correspondence
Please note the following address for correspondence regarding the Award and Award entries. All correspondence must be sent exclusively via email.
Aspen Institute Italia Award – 2023
Aspen Institute Italia – Piazza Navona, 114 – 00186 Rome (Italy)
phone: +39 06 454689.1 – e-mail: Award2023@aspeninstitute.it
– Aspen Award Rules 2023_
– CANDIDATE APPLICATION_Aspen Award_2023